Saturday, August 8, 2009

Things that make me wince

Walking toward Comerica Park with my children and father-in-law, we witnessed a not uncommon sight.  Two cops had a pan handler against their car and were giving the "handler" a verbal lashing as they checked his pockets.  The tone and the words exchanged were not pleasant but not vulgar either.  I tried to engage both of my sons in conversation quickly as I shielded them from the scene that was no more than 5 feet from us as we passed.  Neither boy reacted and frankly the scene quickly slipped my mind.  After we entered the park, climbed up to the nose-bleeds and watched an inning or so, I noticed that Caleb seemed melancholy.  I couldn't get him to talk about what he was feeling, but he climbed up in my lap.  20 minutes, a carousel ride and some foam paws later, Caleb's normal spunk returned.  Driving home in the car, he piped up.  "Daddy, do you know why I was sad in the game?  It is because I don't want to go to jail like that man we saw as we were walking".

I tried to explain that good men who make good choices need not fear jail or the police. I am not sure what he understood of what I said, but within seconds, Caleb responded by saying he would like to be a police officer, and Nolan said "me too".

It is always interesting watching little boys trying to process man size information.


No comments:

Post a Comment