Monday, October 11, 2010

What keeps us from landing?

We have kicked off our "Spectator Sport?" series at GBC, and we are going to spend time looking at how to be a church family or team rather than simply a spectator. Immediately following the sermon, I was struck with the fact that there are many reasons why people may have difficulty joining the team.

1. It is a losing team... there always seem to be money issues; no one new is joining; few adult baptisms are taking place; the people seem bored.
2. The team has bad chemistry... there doesn't seem to be cohesion on the team... too much fighting.
3. People can't understand the coach or the plays... no one knows what they are trying to accomplish.
4. Don't think the team is important... attitude that says, "its just about God and me- not other Christians."
5. There are other teams vying for someone's time... simply too busy for this team.

While I know that no church is perfect, it certainly seems to matter to Christ. So, it matters to me. Even if I am busy, frustrated by certain people, confused sometimes, I want to love what Christ loves, and that is the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment