Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Lost and Found

Do these stats surprise you? I know- I know- the church is supposed to be in full fledge decline and the next generation is sprinting headlong into destruction... or maybe not. These stats are from Ed Stetzer's book Lost and Found.
(those who somewhat or strongly agree)

God, a higher or supreme being, actually exists.

  • 20-29: 81%
  • 30+: 73%

There exists only one God, the God described in the Bible.

  • 20-29: 57%
  • 30+: 48%

Jesus died and came back to life.

  • 20-29: 66%
  • 30+: 54%

I do not think my lifestyle would be accepted at most Christian churches.

  • 20-29: 39%
  • 30+: 30%

I consider myself to be spiritual because I am interested in knowing more about God, or a higher supreme being.

  • 20-29: 73%
  • 30+: 62%

When a person dies, his or her spirit continues to exist in an afterlife.

  • 20-29: 82%
  • 30+: 69%

There exists a place of reward in the afterlife, sometimes called heaven.

  • 20-29: 77%
  • 30+: 58%

There exists a place of punishment in the afterlife, sometimes called hell.

  • 20-29: 60%
  • 30+: 44%

If someone wanted to tell me what she or he believed about Christianity, I would be willing to listen.

  • 20-29: 89%
  • 30+: 75%

I would be willing to study the Bible if a friend asked me to.

  • 20-29: 61%
  • 30+: 42%

If a church presented truth to me in an understandable way that relates to my life now, I would attend.

  • 20-29: 63%
  • 30+: 47%

If people at church cared about me as a person, I would be more likely to attend.

  • 20-29: 58%
  • 30+: 38%

I would be willing to join a small group of people to learn more about the Bible and Jesus.

  • 20-29: 46%
  • 30+: 27%

2 comments:

  1. On one hand, I'm suprised because I do so often feel like younger generations are separating from God, at the same time, it's the younger ones that are usually more open to many points of view.

    Also, just because they're open and even if they believe in God to whatever extent, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are following Christ or making lifestyle changes that would reflect a heart change. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh absolutely... I think these stats reflect an openness to ... well... everything: good and bad. In some ways it presents more challenges to talk about faith with someone who thinks everything is the same. But, at least for me, seeing these stats helped reduce my whole "fear" of talking about my faith.

    ReplyDelete