Monday, October 26, 2009

Thomas a'Kempis roulette

Cracking the book to page 92 of my edition of the Imitation of Christ, this is what assaulted me this morning.

"Jesus has many lovers of His kingdom of heaven, but He has few bearers of His Cross. Many desire His consolation, but few desire His tribulation. He finds many comrades in eating and drinking, but He finds few who will be with Him in His abstinence and fasting. All men would joy with Christ, but few will suffer anything for Christ. Many follow Him to the breaking of the His bread, for their bodily refreshment, but few will follow Him to drink of the chalice of His passion."

I daily wrestle with my heart for Christ. Does He alone satisfy? Or do I merely enjoy the blessings of being around other believers, and do I simply desire to appease my guilt through my ritual. Is my fascination ultimately with Christ or myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment